EIGHT POEMS OF THE FIST
The Kempo Hakku was a favorite poem of Miyagi Chojun Sensei.
A Chinese Kempo poem found in the Bubishi of which Goju Ryu was named from the third line.
· Jin shin wa ten chi ni onaji
The mind is one with Heaven and Earth.
· Ketsumyaku wa nichigetsu ni nitari
The circulatory rhythm of the body is similar in rythm to the cycle of the Sun and the Moon.
· Ho wa Goju wo tondo su
The way of breathing is hard and soft.
· Mi wa toki ni shitagai hen ni ozu
Act in inevitable accordance with time and change.
· Te wa ku ni ai sunawa chi hairu
Techniques will occur in the absence of conscious thought [a clear mind].
· Shin tai wa hakarite riho su
The feet advance and retreat, separate and meet.
· Me wa shiho wo miru wo yosu
The eyes do not miss even the slightest change.
· Mimi wa yoku happo wo kiku
The ears listen well in all eight directions.